Athlete who fails to qualify for the Olympics set 100m new world record - All Sport News

Headlines

Post Top Ad

Saturday 23 July 2016

Athlete who fails to qualify for the Olympics set 100m new world record

 
Harrison

The 28-year-old world Olympic record of 100 metres hurdles has been broken by Kendra Harrison at the Olympic Stadium on Friday - just two weeks after failing to make the United States team for the Rio Olympics.
The 23-year-old stormed over the barriers to cross the line in 12.20 seconds at the Muller Anniversary Games, beating Bulgarian Yordanka Donkova's mark by one hundredth of a second.
She collapsed into floods of tears at the finish at her achievement.
It came just a fortnight after she could only finish in sixth place at the US trials, seeing her Olympic hopes crushed.


Before the commencement of this event, she said the only thing that could help make up for that disappointment was to break the world record - although few could have predicted it coming quite so soon.
"I'm just so full of emotions," said Harrison, whose previous best was the 12.24 she ran in May.

"Not making that Olympic team, I knew I had to come out here and show the world I still had it in me.
"My coach has been telling me since day one that I had it in me. I still have a few weeks to go so I am going to try and lower that time."
Harrison received a cheque for 50,000 US Dollars (€45,500) for the record.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad

Pages